Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Green veg of fall I love you so



 

collards yum yum

Sometimes you feel like a cook, sometimes you don't . Today we have to talk about my favorite food though, green leafy things. I love love love seeing collards in season. You don't have to worry about your calcium and drink that pesky milk if you get tight with collards, kale and all those other dark green things that you might not be excited to cook. Until now. So easy!

The secret: Fat. Oh, sorry, did you think I would say spice or water or something good for you? No! The secret is good good pig of and some sort of oil! You don't need anything else.  Here's how I make my collards these days (used to boil them until a friend taught me better, Thanks Deb Hines!). Coat the collards in canola oil or EVOO or melted butter if you like (the taste will be different so try them all). Add your fat back to the bottom of the pan, or pancetta, or leftover pig parts (here I used some from a shoulder roast). Over medium heat, wilt the collards in the oil. Stir often. At about 15 minutes, they will be tender enough eat. At 30, they will be even better if you have the patience to wait. Then, serve with a concoction I call Carolina BBQ Sauce, Deena Classic Southern version. Basically it is equal parts brown sugar stirred into apple cider vinegar and hot pepper flakes to taste.


No comments:

Post a Comment